I've got gain control knobs and sliders galore; Youtube and Pandora, this computer, the 15 band EQ, the Beringer Super X pro X-over, the sub-preamp, and the Yamaha 7.1 receiver. Some have 12:00 at 0 gain and some have gain from 0 to some random number or just notches on a dial. What to do and where to set all of them???
"James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

Sonic Barbarian
I'm setting everything at about 75% and just hope I am not boosting everything 500% at the power amps.![]()
"James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]
Maybe this will help: Gain Structure
edit: some more links: https://www.google.com/search?q=gain..._sm=0&ie=UTF-8
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
That's a great resource, GM. Thanks for posting. Most explanations on the web get overly technical and confusing to many folks.
One thing i would add for hifi applications, you need to be very mindful of the frequency extremes when the system is not hi and low pass filtered. There can be large signals present in recorded media at frequencies well beyond those encountered in a live sound application. Send a couple hundred watts of 16hz to an 825 or 828 cabinet and you'll quickly understand what i'm talking about.
Not all vegetables make good leaders.

All the digital sliders: computer, iPhone, Pandora etc should be set to max. These are not true attenuators. They do not add gain, but lose bytes when reduced which degrades signal.
I'm not sure of the Behringers, but I would be wary of any digital gain controls and try to keep them 0 gain except where a little EQ is necessary.
Then just use the volume control on the Yamaha 7.1, assuming it's an analogue attenuator, to adjust volume.
Thanks for that information Alan, however, if I did that, the combined volumes would be twice as loud as my turntable or CD player. Is there a way to measure the so called line level output of the computer?
Hmm, just looked and I just realized that I am using the headphone output of the laptop computer, is there some way of getting around this? Maybe an external sound card?
"James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]
One way is with a USB interface., is there some way of getting around this?
Presonus Audiobox
M-Audio M-Track
Focusrite Scarlett
on a budget,
Behringer U-Control
little better unit,
Behringer Uphoria
The Presonus has an analog output control, i'm sure most, but probably not all of the others do as well.
Not all vegetables make good leaders.

I use a Dragonfly USB DAC. Other than being a great DAC for the $$$, it has a built-in analogue volume control that converts your computer volume control from digital to analogue when switching your audio output device to the Dragonfly in control panel (windows).
Amazon.com: AudioQuest DragonFly USB Digital to Analog Converter (Black) Version 1.0: Electronics
I bought mine when they were $250 and it was worth it. The sound is great. Now at $119 it's a no-brainer.
But without such a device, your sliders on the computer are not gain controls. When you reduce them they are merely removing bytes of information as they reduce output. You want them at max and deal with gain elsewhere. If you have to lower the volume control on the Yamaha when listening to computer music, so be it. At least you'll be getting all the "information".
If you're listening to computer music, you should have some kind of USB DAC anyway: A) for the better SQ and B) to get away from that headphone jack.
There is a newer version for a few $$$ more:
http://www.amazon.com/AUDIOQUEST-DRA...=dragonfly+dac
But the original is awesome for that money.
Last edited by alancohen; July 28th, 2014 at 12:48 PM.
Just ordered the Behringer UCA222 U-CONTROL unit from Parts Express $30. Price was right and all I could beg my wife to allow.
https://www.parts-express.com/behrin...face--248-6504
Hope it really gets here by August 1 so I can use it when I do the tunes for my 40 year high school reunion on Friday. I have been trying to figure out Pandora and creating a radio station of early '70's classic rock. The cool thing is that I just got DirecTV and with it comes a subscription to Pandora, so no commercials.The only problem is that every know and then, they sneak in something off of the wall and if you are not on top of it, they go off on a tangent of total #$%#.
"James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]
Bookmarks